BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Literature Circles, Of Course!

I arrived at the humanities room, while a cool breeze greeted me at the doorway. I slowly ambled to a desk, and positioned my belongings on top of the smooth, brown surface. I flopped into the chair, and relaxed. I was fairly early, so I just sat and waited for the rest of the class to turn up. I was particularly tired that lazy afternoon, but still ready to partake in the discussion about to happen. Of course, I was excited! You probably already know this, but I'll repeat it again if you don't; I LOVE DISCUSSIONS! I really like to converse with others, and listen to their ideas and thoughts, which may help develop mine. As usual, I was prepared with my completed response sheet, and I had read the segment of the book that was assigned. I took a good, long while on the response sheet. I wanted it to be perfect. I am quite the perfectionist when it comes to writing! Back on the topic, I must say that the book really does get better and better! I'm rather fond of Julie of the Wolves. It is gripping and very interesting. Especially this part we have just covered. Which is about Julie/Miyax's early childhood. This part was full of so many excellent descriptions as well as, facts for clarification! Anyway, the rest of the class, including my group members, arrived. And so the discussion commenced!
Naturally, we began by sharing and discussing our passages. But just as the last meeting, none of us actually discussed the passages. Everyone just listened to what the person had to say, then we moved on to the next person. None of us were really that enthusiastic, which I know is a shame. All everyone wanted to do was get on with the assignment and be done with it. The whole point of the discussion is to discuss! To elaborate, share and converse with your peers. Sadly, our group didn't entirely do that. At least, that is what I felt. So, we then moved on from our passages, to our questions and responses. Now this is normally where we discuss the most, but during that discussion, not as thoroughly. We did respond to each other's questions, basically. As in, there wasn't such a deep conversation going on. It was just plain and bland, nothing much to it. But, we still saw how the main character, Julie/Miyax changed.
Julie/Miyax has changed in several ways. One major change we've seen in her is that she can communicate much better with the wolves. Their relationship has strengthened, and she has truly become one of the pack. The book explains and exhibits all of this. It shows how she communicates with them and how she can somewhat give them orders. The book also features how she plays games with the younger wolves, and how the wolves have supplied her with food. This is only one way Julie/Miyax has changed; her skills have also changed. The skills she possesses have grown and developed. She has even learnt new ones! The book clearly shows this. It displays how she has practiced the skills familiar to her by using them to survive. For example, the skills she learnt for cooking, have been used and practiced for her survival! As for learning new skills, well, she learned the signals used to communicate effectively with the wolves! Isn't that a skill? Because it sure seems like one! This is another way she has changed. Julie/Miyax has also changed in terms of bravery. Before, when she did not know the wolves, she was so afraid and unsure. She was afraid that she would not survive, and that she would probably starve to death! But then, she met these wolves, and they provided her with food, which helped her gain bravery and confidence. Even when the wolves had left her, she was brave. She was confident, and determined to reach San Francisco. These are all ways in which Julie/Miyax has changed and evolved.
So overall, the discussion went alright. However, considering the fact that we basically skipped the vocabulary, and that we didn't really discuss or elaborate, I wouldn't say that this discussion was effective. None of us were really enthusiastic, as I've mentioned before. We were all pretty bored and just wanted to get it over with. Kind of. We did have moments where we did some talking and debating, but not a lot. I am quite disappointed with the outcome of this discussion, but I am also at fault. But, I guess, we could have done worse!

0 comments: