BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Last Discussion!

For our final blog post, our humanities class had a choice of three activities. Each individual had the chance to choose what they would favor doing. The different activities were; writing a prediction as to what will happen to the character next; writing a letter to any character in the book, or writing a letter to the author. At first, I wasn't sure which one I'd feel comfortable working on. I'm rather picky, by the way. So yes, it took me a while to choose a task. However, in the end, I decided to write a letter to the author of Julie of the Wolves, Jean Craighead George. At this point, let me share my letter with you guys!

Dear Jean,
this is Kat; an ordinary sixth grade girl who has just finished reading your fabulous book, Julie of the Wolves! I'm writing this letter to you, to discuss your book. (Which I absolutely loved, by the way!) I really liked your descriptions throughout the book; the language and context really helped my understanding due to the images I was able to visualize. For instance, when Miyax was making her way to the village of Kangik there is a passage that was truly beautiful! Here it is: "A green fountain of magnetic light shot up into the sky, its edges rimmed with sparks. The air crackled, the river groaned, and Miyax pointed her boots toward Kapugen." I am particularly fond of this passage due to the choice of words, and for some reason, when I read it, I feel peace and the word nature enters my mind. Is that what you intend others to feel whilst reading your book? I'm just wondering, since most of the language has the same sort of "vibe", if you know what I mean. I also have a liking for the fact that Julie of the Wolves revolves around nature related concepts. What I mean is, I like how the setting allows Miyax to develop herself mentally and physically. She focuses on practical and realistic matters rather than the materialized side of life. The book shows friendship, intelligence, and love. For example, Miyax's close relationship with the wolf pack, as well as, her amazing survival skills. To be quite honest, I first fell in love with those wolves! The whole entire pack just continued to engage me; with their adorable actions and loyal, trustworthy personalities. (I'm not sure about Jello though.) Anyway, I basically just adored your writing, which I must say you have a talent for! But, I would like to ask a few questions.
First of all, I read some of your biographies, and I just want to know a bit more, if you don't mind. I have to say that I think it's pretty cool that you actually went to Alaska yourself! I find that awesome! I hope it wasn'tto cold! Personally, what did you think of the experience? Do have any memorable moments from that trip? I found out that this book was inspired by your own personal incidents; communicating successfully with a wolf and witnessing a young girl alone out on the tundra. What did you tell the wolf? I really can't imagine myself doing that, I'd probably be too paranoid and hesitant! Oh, and I've also read that the character Miyax/Julie was inspired by an Eskimo women you met named Julia Sebevan. Apparently she taught you about the old ways of Eskimos. I have one question, how did you meet her? Wow, your life seems so fascinating and exciting! As if you never get bored... Do you? Since of course, you have so much to do, right? Sorry, I think I'm asking to many questions! Which hopefully, you wouldn't mind answering!
But... I have even more questions to ask you about the book itself! My apology! (Everyone says I write too much! Which is fairly accurate actually!) Okay, so about your book, Julie of the Wolves... When did you finally decide to write it? It must have taken some time to plan, and draft it. That's another thing; how do authors find the time to write an entire book? It is a lot of work! But, I guess your work paid off, since it's been awarded! One question I have about the actual story is, what was truly wrong with Jello? I never fully understood why he was shunned from the wolf pack and why the rest of the group was so mean to him! So what did Jello do to be so hated? It's all really confusing! (No offense!) Yes, and another question I'd like to ask is, did you resolve the problem of your book being banned? Or is it still not allowed in some places? I read how Julie of the Wolves was prohibited several times due to the inappropriate actions. I find those certain sections not as bad as it could have been, really. However, back on the topic, I'd like to thank you for your time and I look forward to a reply!
Sincerely, Kat

0 comments: