BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yet Another Discussion

My friends come to greet me as I walk through the door, into the extremely familiar humanities room. I place my supplies on a desk and fish out my response paper and book for Literature Circles. As usual, I come prepared to class, ready and eager to discuss the chapters we'd read in the book. And as you already know, I despise the response sheets. The one I'd recently written was almost six pages; literally. I nearly always write this much. As I mentioned before, I have the ethos of an over-achiever and make sure to excel in my academics. Anyway, no matter how much I suffer in the writing part of the Literature Circles process, I really enjoy the discussions we have in class. In the small groups we thankfully form ourselves, we talk about the section we had read, and share thoughts and ideas. Elaborating on one another's thoughts, and creating hypothesis, predictions, and reasons. The discussions and books are really the only part I look forward to throughout Literature Circles. Besides the many received A+'s of course! I don't why I am so fond of the discussions...I guess I just love to talk! I love hearing other people's opinions and hear their view of the matter. It influences how I think and really helps me develop new understandings. I'm also very keen on sharing my own judgements and outlooks; as many of my teachers frequently mention. I like having a good conversation with someone. They can sometimes open my eyes to something I've never thought about before. Making me see things differently. Usually, in our discussions, we ask one another complex questions on the book-which we prepared in advance-causing the group to really reflect and debate. This reminds me; I better be getting on to the assigned questions I need to answer...

1. When Jonas learns all about colors, he claims "it isn't fair that nothing has color". Why does he say this?
2. Why does Jonas find the instruction about lying so disturbing?
3. Why does The Giver say that making choices would be frightening for people?
Well, out of the three questions, I know I am definitely not doing number one. I'm not trying to brag, or make others who find it difficult sound stupid; but, I find it too easy. At least personally, it isn't too much of a challenge. And in my opinion, I can't write much about it either.... Anyway, between the two left, I am torn. I've got so many ideas and thoughts for each one and could write so much! But I guess I'll just stick with question three. However, I may branch out a tiny bit, and tie it in a little with question two. I somehow see a connection between the two questions, and feel they can be tied together. But, as the assignment was given, I'll mostly focus on one question. (Which is, I'll repeat for those of you not paying attention, the third.) At least, I'll try. Here it goes!

Well as you should already know, Jonas' community is totally controlled. There are no real opportunities in their society to have an individual opinion or make your own decision. Everyone thinks alike and just goes with whatever the Committee places. People just automatically follow the rules and regulations given as if they were programmed robots. (But honestly, the people of the community aren't much different to robots. No one has a mind of their own, or control over their own actions.) There isn't any individuality in this society, and nobody has a voice. No one truly has a choice in what they want for themselves or others. "But now I can see colors, at least sometimes, I was just thinking; what if we hold up things that were bright red, or bright yellow, and he could choose? Instead of Sameness." "He might make the wrong choices." "Oh." Jonas was silent for a minute. "Oh, I see what you mean. It wouldn't matter for a newchild's toy. But later it does matter, doesn't it? We don't dare to let people make choices of their own." "Not safe?" The Giver suggested. "Definitely not safe," Jonas said with certainty." This quote takes place when Jonas and the Giver were discussing the right of choice in the community. Jonas is arguing how he would like to have the freedom of choice and gives the example of how he would like to hold up something red and something yellow and let the baby his father is nurturing decide which he would like. The Giver then makes Jonas realize that although the choice of a toy isn't important, larger matters like your choice of job and whom you marry is significant and it wouldn't be safe or ensured that you would make the right choices. I believe the reason why the Giver believes it would be frightening for people in the community to make choices is because they are not used to deciding things on their own, and are very naive to the consequences of a bad choice. They do not know the difference between right and wrong and could therefore make mistakes. And in our community, we understand that mistakes do happen and cannot be avoided. We also know how to deal with bad situations, and learn how to manage. But in Jonas' society, mistakes almost never occur and are not normal. Whenever they do come about, the community is very unsure of what to do, and becomes very panicked. One wrong choice can disrupt the entire community. For instance, jobs. The jobs in the community are what really helps the community function properly. If they jobs are not done, the community cannot thrive and continue it's existence. The jobs keep the people and environment secure and in tact. This is why the receiving of assignments is taken very seriously and the elders are extremely careful with which job is given to which person. Each job is dependent on one another. They are all somehow connected. If people choose their own jobs, some could make the wrong decisions and do poorly putting the community at risk.

This is only one reason why choices may be so frightening for people. Another reason is because choice could destroy the community's Sameness. The point of Sameness is to ensure there is no individuality in the society avoiding any disagreements or arguments. This makes sure people will also follow all rules and laws, avoiding rebellion and protests. Making everyone's lives easier as they don't have to deal with such problems. With choice, people will have different opinions and thoughts, which could lead to quarrels and fights. Possibly resulting in things like war and murder. With Sameness in the community, pain and suffering is prevented from occurring. So another reason why choices may be frightening for those of the community is because their choices may cause actual suffering and pain. The last reason why I believe choice may be frightening for people is because choice could lead people to go against ruling and laws. As I said before, without choice, Sameness is fostered in the society, ensuring that people will willingly obey the rules placed. But if there were choices in the community some could choose to go against the regulations. For instance, the rule of lying. In Jonas's community, you may not lie. Even the smallest mistakes in language could be considered lying. For example, there was a time when Jonas said he was starving. An adult talked to Jonas privately, chastising him for lying. He wasn't starving, but hungry. Precision of language is extremely important in the community and lying isn't tolerated. There are many, many rules in this community, and if people had the right of choice, some may break these rules and rebel. These are the reasons why the Giver thinks choice my be frightening for those of the community.

0 comments: