BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How is Will Like ME?

The White Mountains. This, by the way, is our latest reading book in Literature Circles. Yes, Literature Circles has once again commenced; with a new book, new groups, and a slightly new format of how we do things. But of course, we still have blog posts to write up, so don't worry. However, this set of posts will have different topics and content, compared to last time's. Before, we just had to write about what went on during our discussions, what we gained from them, and how we thought we did. This time, we get to write about a variety of things with each post. Or at least I think that's how it works. Anyway, the set subject for this post is how Will is like me. Wait... You have no idea who Will is! Okay, okay, let me roughly explain. In our book, The White Mountains, (Which for your information, is written by John Christopher, and is the first book of a trilogy.) Will is the main character. He is a fourteen-year old boy who decides to leave his town in search of the White Mountains, where it is believed that he may find freedom. You see, this setting takes place in the future, where some huge pieces of machinery called Tripods rule. These three-legged creatures can control man-kind by implanting some sort of metal ring in people's heads, which is know as a "Capping Ceremony". Though many humans believe it is a ceremony to celebrate a boy becoming a man, (Capping only happens to boys, it rarely ever happens to girls.) it is really just a boy losing his mind to a machine. Fortunately, Will knows this, and wants to avoid it. So, after hearing about the White Mountains, he decides to go there in search of independence. Now, after hearing a vague description of Will, I can get on with the task at hand. You know, how Will is like me. Well, it's time to get into detail about his traits, that hopefully will increase your understanding about his character...

Will Parker. As I see it, he has quite an intriguing character, and an interesting mix of traits. He seems to have the characteristics an ordinary child nowadays would possess. First of all, I can say that Will is rather disobedient. Mostly towards his father really. I mean, within the book, there is a certain part where Will meets a man named Ozymandias. Ozymandias, incidentally, is a vagrant; which is a person who's Capping went wrong, therefore they kind of have mental problems and act bizarre. Due to vagrants' unusual behavior, villagers choose not to socialize with them. The townsfolk do believe that they have a duty to provide vagrants with shelter and food, but the interacting should end there. So anyway, word got out that Will was developing a friendship with Ozymandias, and was finally reported to Will's father. Although Will's father made it clear that he should not communicate with Ozymandias anymore, Will still did because he felt there was something special about Ozymandias that he hadn't discovered yet. He was just too curious! Oh, yes, Will is also an EXTREMELY curious person. For instance, Will likes to explore the possibilities of man-made establishments such as ships, watches, etc. Seeing as the Tripods control all products made, it is an amazing thought to Will that man could have made such advancements. Will loves to ask many questions about this particular topic, and can continuously daydream about it for hours! But I guess Will asks so many questions because he has a fairly naive character as well. Will doesn't know much about human capability and independence. I mean, the fact that he even questions if it was possible for humans to create such "progress" in invention completely proves this. He kind of believes that everything was established by the Tripods. But, Will has a fabulous trait that many in his village lack; Will is a very free thinker. What I mean is, Will has his own independent, bold thoughts, and really sticks out of the crowd. An example of this, is that even though everyone says and tries to persuade Will that Capping is a great opportunity and experience; Will would honestly rather DIE than be Capped. I guess he feels this way because, when you are capped, you are pretty much dead. When you think about it, once you are capped, you can't think for yourself, you aren't unique anymore, and you don't have an individual personality. Basically, you lose yourself. So Will's feelings, though suicidal, make sense. In a way. Well, those are Will's major traits, here are the ones we have in common...

Out of Will's various traits, I have his disobedience, curiosity, and free thinking. Let me elaborate... Like Will, I am disobedient. And yes, mostly to my parents. For example, my sister and I ALWAYS fight. Literally. I believe we fight on a daily basis to be honest. (And by the way, my sister is the one to be blamed. I think.) Back on track, my parents are continuously informing me to leave my sister alone and mind my own business. But of course, as you've probably guessed, I absolutely do NOT listen. I don't do it on purpose. It's just too hard! I mean, my sister ALWAYS gets on my nerves, and ALWAYS acts so obnoxious and irritating! (But I must give her credit for being nice SOMETIMES. I guess.) I'm sure many people can understand this. Another example is, my parents are constantly telling me to watch my mouth and my tone. Because every so often, when I'm grumpy or tired, I tend to talk in a rude way with a annoyed attitude. And no matter how much my parents shout and yell at me to get my act together, I still occasionally behave that way. Sorry! Anyway, the point of this is that I sometimes disobey my parents and don't listen to them. Okay, BESIDES having Will's sense of disobedience, I like him, am quite curious. For instance, while I'm in class. During lessons, I love to ask questions, and discuss with my peers. I like elaborating on the matter at hand, and asking many questions to help my understanding. Plus, I just like to know and increase my knowledge. I also enjoy listening to other people's opinions and building on that. I love to talk! Anyway, another example of my curiosity is, in the subject of family and friend arguments. I'm not particularly sure why I like to know about people's problems and bickering, but I do. I mean I like to know what is going on between people. And I have a tendency to ask many questions about that, which can get on people's nerves. Okay, so, the purpose of those examples were to back up the fact that I, like Will, am curious. The last trait Will and I share, is the characteristic of being a free thinker. I don't have a specific example for this, because honestly, I am ALWAYS a free thinker. I mean, I know some people that just follow what everyone else is doing. They don't really know who they are. But me, I don't give in to peer pressure. I think for myself and am not afraid to speak my mind. I don't care if my opinions and thought are completely different to everyone else's. For instance, (Okay, now I have an example.) if I like something and other people keep telling me how stupid they think it is or something, I continue with my own thoughts. I may take in what others say, but in the end, it's really my opinion that matters the most, to me. Now, you've learnt who Will is and how I'm like him. Actually, I'm sure a lot of us share Will's characteristics. Anyhow, it's sadly the end of this post. But I will continue writing up posts, so keep up!

0 comments: